Monday 28 January 2019

Brakes

It’s fair to say that it’s been a while since I last worked on the car, over a year in fact! The problem has been that I keep getting stuck, find out I’m missing parts or just haven’t had time. Since then though, I’ve brown the engine in my track bike, crashed my KTM (and fixed it), and had a baby.

Who needs instructions with skills like these
I figured the brake system couldn’t be that difficult but despite having a sealed pack labelled “Mevabusa brake kit”, it didn’t actually contain everything I needed. I was missing a T-piece, some banjo bolts and the cables that connected the master cylinders to the reservoir. All of this should have been in the "kit in the box", but then I was also promised instructions, and they never materialised either.

The supplied reservoir
Speaking of the reservoir, it was a second hand pot with duel outlets with scanky ripped hoses attached. I opted to buy 2 new reservoirs, this way I’d know the exact sizes of the outlets for the hoses I needed to buy and I could have separate systems for the front and rear brakes giving some kind of hope in the event of a failure (it’s me building this thing remember!). Also if I need to work on it, I only need to bleed 2 corners at a time.
Look at the pair on that...



Plumbed
When I had all of the right parts, plumbing it all together was pretty easy, and everything is now tightened up. I’m not putting fluid in yet as the car is still up in the air on blocks so it’s not exactly going anywhere plus it’s highly likely I’ll need to disconnect things as I do more work around each corner. It is very tempting to whack the fluid in though, it would mean something on the car actually worked!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mark,

    Really love the build. The blog is super detailed. I was wondering where you purchased the reservoirs? I got the same crappy one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments! I got he reservoirs from Motorsport-tools.com (https://www.motorsport-tools.com/motorsport-parts/brakes/brake-fluid-reservoirs.html) including the bracket.

    ReplyDelete