Monday 30 September 2013

Catchup...

It's been a while since I've provided an update for a few reasons, firstly my inane ability to procrastinate, but also because progress has been a little slow. Allow me to explain and bring you up to date on the various bits and pieces.

Steering Rack
Home made tool
The steering rack as you may remember needed disassembling so that a new rack and pinion could replace the standard Sierra bits. The new parts make it a quick rack, so basically less turns from lock to lock which will make the car a little more nimble on track.

The problem was that Ford decided to make just about everything that needed to be removed to require a custom tool. Obviously I didn't have a custom tool, so Steve at work used his wily brain and sorted things out. Fast forward a few days and I just needed to get the bearing off the old pinion and remove the spring system to allow to rack to come apart.

The bearing was on tight, tighter than a camel's bum in a sandstorm in fact. Luckily I had access to a big vice and an even bigger hammer. Bosh. Sorted.
Brand new but rusty,
going in the bin anyway

The spring system required some welding to make a tool to do the job. Of course, I'm not allowed anywhere near something like that, so Steve sorted it out while I hummed the A-Team soundtrack in the background. Once we had the tool it was easy work.

The rack was swapped out for the quick rack, but it was worth noting that even though the original rack was brand new, it still had signs of rust on it despite it never been used and covered in grease, it just shows what the shelf life does!

This is where the plastic nut needed to go. That's filings in
hole from work done to get it back in (don't worry, it was
cleaned out before put back together.
Putting it all back together wasn't simple either, the nut holding the spring system in was plastic and was easy to damage, mainly because Ford had 'knocked' in the metal around it so that it wouldn't slip. So a little bit of filing and lathe work and it was back in. It was prouder than before which was a worry to begin with but as the pinion it was pressing against was wider, that made sense.

The pinion cover that was tough to get off was tough to get back on too, Steve again sorted this as I don't think he fancied me throwing his tools through the window!

With that sorted I could do the rest at home. Now that probably doesn't read to hard, but as I did it at work, it was hard to get the time, and Steve's a busy man too, so it took a few weeks bit by bit, and my thanks do go out to Steve I'd probably have given up and kept the original rack!

Steering Column

The universal joint that connects
the column to the rack.
Ah, the column. I was dreading this as I read the instructions for it some time ago. It basically involved stripping the existing column, sawing a bit off, welding some bits together, then judging if it was right, then welding it again. I showed it Tim as he made this sort of 'hmm' noise, so we decided to put it to one side and come back to it later. Well it was now later.

Now, remember that the instructions that I'm following are for the Tr1ke, not my actual car, but this bit was all the same in theory as the front end was the same. That may be so, but Road Track Race (RTR) have made things easy since then by doing the cutting and welding already. I didn't realise this though for some time, so much so that I'd told the good folks there that I was missing a part but when Harry from RTR dropped in one evening he put me right. Doh.

So with that sorted, it was kind of easy. Ok lining up the rack so that the wheels were straight as well as the steering wheel is a little more difficult, but I got it close enough for now.

Fittings and Fixtures

A collection of nuts'n'bolts. Lets hope there
are none left over at the end.
In my last post I moaned a little bit about having run out of nuts'n'bolts, as well as a bunch of parts. Well the very next day harry from RTR turned up with some more bits. It was mainly pipes and hoses as well as the Power Commander (which looks a bit complicated, but I haven't had a proper look yet). He was able to answer a bunch of questions that I had as well as looking at what I was missing. He then put together a list of bolts and they arrived in the post a few days later.

This meant that I could swap out all the odd sized bolts that I'd been using to get things in place. One wishbone for instance was held in place by a pencil and a cable tie.

So there we have it, the steering now works, plus lots of little bits have been able to be finished properly (like the brake pedal, wishbones, etc).

Next up, stripping the bike for parts....

No comments:

Post a Comment